Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Hear Us Out

"Yesterday you owned the sun

But today it is mine"

The above two lines are taken from a Tibetan poem titled “We the six million Tibetans.” The poem describes the Tibetan spirit and speaks of the love they have for their nation. Until few days back I was living a normal teenage life. With a “who cares” attitude I didn’t really think much about the independence of Tibet. All I cared about was I. An average college student; I spent my days attending lectures, hanging out with friends or simply reading a book.

Since I was always surrounded by Nepalese I felt I belonged with them. But deep down I knew I was different. Unlike them I had my roots entrenched in Tibetan soil and my link to the country was inevitable. Despite not having visited the country even once I shared a strong bond with it. It maybe because of the language I speak, the culture that I follow or because of my typical Tibetan family.

After reading and watching the ongoing Tibetan protests I felt deeply saddened and glad at the same time. Sad because I wasn’t being able to be a part of it and glad because finally Tibetans were speaking out. Since I stay in a University hostel I couldn’t take part in the demonstrations but I wasn’t going to sit idly either. I thought to myself at least I could write about it and let people know what actually is happening in Tibet.

It has been more than 6 decades that china took over Tibet and destroyed its independence. During 1950s the Chinese began their invasion and in the process killed, abused and injured thousands. Tibet with a meager population of 6 million was not able to resist to the Chinese power. Hundreds of children orphaned and many others displaced. Monks and nuns were tortured and all monasteries demolished. The Chinese not only took our land but also our freedom: freedom to live freely.

As Chinese became more and more brutal, Tibetans had no other choice but to flee their homes.Many sought shelter in the neighboring countries. I am so appreciative of all the host states that welcomed and provided us roof over our heads. But as we all know how much ever luxurious a hotel may be we would always prefer returning back home.

Tibet is my home and I cannot stand Chinese destroy it. The Chinese have time and again tried different tactics to defame Tibetans. The recent news about Tibetans planning suicide attacks is yet another Chinese tactic of showing Tibetans as violent and dangerous. It is indeed sad to read that such inhuman act is being linked to the Dalai Lama who stands for peace and non violence.

Tibetans have suffered enough from the hands of Chinese and the world needs to listen to our unheard voices. It is time we stand up and stop the Chinese from hurting more of our fellow Tibetans.

1 comment:

Dr. Nirmala Mani Adhikary said...

Dear Tsering,
You haven't updated your blog since long time.
Nirmal